Sunday, December 30, 2012

Collages of Sketch Books

 This is not all of the sketches, but just wanted to show a small selection of them! Would be nearly impossible to put all of them on here.  Even to put 75 of regular size would be too much!
The first one has the last one in the middle, and the 2nd one is just some more.
If you are an artist and don't keep a sketchbook I recommend that you start! I have done them for a very long time, but never with just pen and ink.
I have always relied on my pencils and erasers.I would draw with pencil, and then go over it with ink.  I took a sketchbook workshop from Don Getz years ago, and he told me to throw my pencil away, but I just couldn't. I just didn't have the confidence to do that!  After seeing what Brenda Swenson and Cathy Johnson and many other artists were doing on face book, I decided I would try it. The first few were very hard for me...to start the ink, knowing it was THERE! But if the line was wrong, I just kept on anyway, and they didn't turn out so bad.The hardest part other than putting down the first mark, is finding something to sketch.  I sketched mainly in the house and all my photos were out in my art room.  So I had to hunt something. I took photos off TV, and went through photos from trips, etc.  I have several that I didn't even photograph. I counted 208, and that wasn't all of them.  75 days, and I missed 6 for some reason.  I recommend you not start with major holidays falling in those days! Jan.1 would be a great time!  I plan on keeping on in my sketchbooks! Let me know if you are starting one! I would love to know.  The bottom photo is the 4 books I used. The first one was about half full, and the 2nd and 3rd were new. The last one has about 20 or so in it. If you ever find one like the red one below with the textured beige paper, I recommend you get it! It is wonderful to draw on! and the paint looks pretty on that color. The one in the middle is one of those 'Visual Journals' with Bristol paper. Very slick and is easy to paint.The one on top is one of Judi Betts sketchbooks. I like them a lot too!
HAPPY SKETCHING!



2 comments:

Nancy Standlee said...

Love the post and sketches.. what's the brand of the "red one"?

Suzy Pal Powell said...

Thanks Nancy!

At the Fair

I was acceptd into the New Mexico watercolor society show again this year. It will be in Las Cruces NM instead of Albuquerque NM The theme ...